Post-brexit European travel advice for UK motorhome and caravan owners published

Published On: February 24, 2020Categories: Travel1.3 min read

The UK government has published its latest travel advice for those travelling into the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein

The UK government has published its latest travel advice for those travelling into Europe, which details requirements for travel for British passport holders heading to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

From January 2021, there are changes expected in several areas that will affect motorhomers, campervanners and caravanners, including, the requirement of international driving licence for drivers, the insurance and documents drivers will need for their vehicles, changes to European health cover, the duration for which one can travel before requiring a visa and a GB sticker on campervan or motorhome if it is UK-registered.

For those planning to travel with a pet, the advice is to allow at least four months’ preparation time as, from 1 January, 2021, the existing pet passport scheme will not be recognised here.

From next New Year, the guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU (plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) will also end. This means travellers could be hit with roaming charges they had previously not faced. However, a new law will limit the charges and mean mobile phone owners will not get mobile data charges above £45 without them knowing. Once the £45 limit is reached, mobile phone users will need to opt in to spend more.

None of these changes should not come into force until January 1, 2021, and some may not come into force at all depending on what agreement the government and the EU come to during the transition period. However, it is already recommended that you do not travel with less than six months’ validity left on your passport.

About the Author: Jonathan Adams

Latest articles

Go to Top